Frequently Asked Questions
- Is the Raleigh City of Oaks Marathon a Boston qualifier?
- Yes. The course is USATF certified, thus making the marathon eligible for use as a Boston Marathon qualifier.
- Is the course hilly?
- Our 2015 marathon course has moderate hills as well as flat roads and greenway. The course scenery varies drastically along the course, going from downtown Raleigh to North Raleigh via the Raleigh Greenway system. A full course map and elevation profile is available at http://www.cityofoaksmarathon.com/course_info.
- Will portajohns be available on the course?
- Yes. Portajohns will be available at the start/finish area and approximately every 2 miles on the course.
- Is there a time limit?
- Yes. The time limit for the marathon and marathon relay is 6 hours. The time limit for the half marathon and half marathon relay is 3 hours. The time limit for the 10K is 1 hour, 28 minutes. The time limit is a safety issue and applies to both runners and walkers alike. The roads on the course can only be closed for the allotted time frame. Runners must maintain a 14 minute-per-mile pace at all points on the course. For example, all runners for the half, half marathon relay, full marathon and marathon relay must pass the 9-mile point at 9 x 14-minute-miles = 126 minutes or 2 hours, 6 minutes. If you are unable to do so, you will be required to move to the sidewalk. Please contact the Race Director, Ron Wahula, with any time limit questions at .
- How many participants are expected?
- There is a limit of 1,500 marathon participants, 100 marathon relay teams, 200 half marathon relay teams, 3,000 half marathon participants, and 1,500 10K participants. The kids' marathon mile run will be capped at 250 participants.
- May I wear my headphones?
- Yes, as long as they don't interfere with your ability to follow instructions from race staff, police and race volunteers, interfere with your ability to compete safely, or interfere with other participants. Race staff reserves the right to disqualify you from the race and remove you from the race course.
- Are strollers and baby joggers allowed?
- Yes, but only in the 10K.
- Are pace groups available?
- Yes, pace groups will be provided as follows: full marathon finish times of 3:30, 4:00, 4:30 and 5:00, 5:30 and 6:00; half marathon finish times of 1:45, 2:00, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45 and 3:00. Stop by the Pace Team booth at the expo to sign up and meet your pacers!
- Is there a relay option?
- Yes, we now have a four-person marathon relay and a two-person half marathon relay. The marathon relay distances are of varying lengths as follows: leg 1 – 7.3 miles, leg 2 – 7.5 miles, leg 3 – 5.2 miles, and leg 4 – 6.2 miles. The half marathon relay distances are: leg 1 – 7.3 miles, leg 2 – 5.8 miles. More info »
- I need to make a change to my registration information. How can I do this?
- You can correct your name, birth date, email address, shirt size, bib name, etc. by sending an email to email@example.com. Please include your name and desired changes. Registration information change requests after September 30th must be made at the expo.
- Can I have someone else pick up my race packet for me?
- Yes. If you need someone else to pick up your race packet at the expo, your designee will will need a photocopy of your driver's license or some other photo ID.
- Can I switch races?
Yes, changing races will be allowed only for the marathon, half marathon, and 10K. There is no processing fee to change races. To change races, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, email, original race and desired race. For downgrades, no refunds will be issued. For upgrades, the additional registration fee will be charged. Race changes after October 7th, 2015 must be made at the expo.
Per USATF rules, if you decide to change races unofficially, you will be disqualified. You must run the race for which you registered.
- I have registered for this year's race, but am unable to compete. Can I get a refund, deferral, or transfer my registration to someone else?
Sorry, we do not allow refunds, deferrals or transfers.
Registration protection was available for a fee during registration to cover injuries, job relocations, accidents and other extraordinary circumstances. If you purchased registration protection, visit https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ to get claim information.
Runners participating using another runner's bib will be disqualified.
- Where should I park on race day?
- See Parking.
- Will baggage check be available?
- Yes. There will be a baggage check area available at the start/finish area across from the NC State Bell Tower. Look for the sign marked "Bag Check."
- How do I obtain my award?
- Awards for overall and age group winners will be distributed on race day at the awards tent.